Monday 6 October 2014

In response to the "Oneness" or "Jesus Only" Movement

I thought I'd do something unconventional to day and post a heated topic I have been involved where a YouTuber was defying the doctrine of the Trinity nature of our God. 

The "Jesus Only" movement, also known as Oneness Pentecostalism or oneness theology, teaches that there is only one God, but denies the tri-unity of God. In other words, oneness theology does not recognize the distinct persons of the Godhead: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It has various forms—some see Jesus Christ as the one God, who sometimes manifests Himself as the Father or the Holy Spirit. The core doctrine of Oneness Pentecostal / Jesus Only is that Jesus is the Father and Jesus is the Spirit. There is one God who reveals Himself in different "modes."


Here is my response as recorded in  YouTube.


Why do you reject the 3 witnesses that are in heaven, are one?

Why do you reject the countless verses that clearly distinguish the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ spoken by the Apostles? Are you and your teachers greater than the Apostles?

1 Corinthians 1:3 "grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ."

2 Corinthians 1:3 "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;"

1 Timothy 1:2 "unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord."

1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" - Who is between God and Men?

2 John 3 "Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love."

John 15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman."

And here are verses that distinguish the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

2 Corinthians 13:14 "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen."

1 Peter 1:2 "elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied."

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." - Jesus talking here

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 "Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."

Terms that Reveal a Plurality, including the Father and Christ:

If you examine the scriptures carefully you will see it.

2 John 1:9 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

John 8:17-18 "It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me."

John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;"

John 15:23 "He that hateth me hateth my Father also."

Jesus says that He was sent by God the Father. In John 20:21, He says to His apostles "...as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you." 

Just as the apostle is sent by Christ and is differentiated from Christ, the Sender, so Christ is sent by the Father and is differentiated from the Father, the Sender. Just as the apostle and Christ are distinguished so Christ and the Father are distinguished. Only several among many passages follow.

John 8:42 "Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me."

John 17:3 " And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

John 6:38 "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me."

The "Oneness" or "Modalist" position denies the pre-earthly or pre-fleshly separate conscious existence of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here's some verses to prove otherwise...

Philippians 2:6-7 "who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 17:5 "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

The Lord Jesus Christ is Sometimes Distinguished from the Father who is Identified as the One and Only God, this again shows that Jesus is not to be identified as God the Father.

Romans 16:27 "to God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen."

1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

1 Corinthians 8:6 "but to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

Those who espouse the "Jesus Only" position contend that the name of the Father, the name of the Son, and the name of the Holy Spirit is "Jesus"! However, in Scripture, only the Lord Jesus Christ is called by this name.

Matthew 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

Luke 1:31 "And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS."

The Father is never called "Jesus"

1 Corinthians 1:13 "grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ."

1 Thessalonians 3:11 "Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you."

1 John 1:3 "that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ."

If the Lord Jesus Christ is said to have a God and Father Himself, obviously He is not His own God and Father.

John 20:17 "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."

Hebrews 1:9 "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows."

Revelation 1:6 "and hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen."

I think by now, your "oneness" or "Jesus Only" doctrine starts to fall apart very quickly...

I sincerely hope you try to understand that none of this is taught by man, it comes from the Word of God, and when read in light of the New Testament, we can interpret the Old Testament with greater clarity. 

Blessed is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the Article, I appreciate your feedback
Sometimes you get spammed so please be patient for your comments to be published.